Gout refers to severe inflammatory arthritis characterized by joint pain and inflammation occurring as a result of uric acid deposition in the blood. It occurs when either the body produces excessive uric acid or the kidneys cannot excrete the excess. The extra uric acid forms crystals and gets deposited in joints, tendons and tissues around it. This results in severe throbbing pain in the big toe, knees, joints of wrists, fingers, shoulders, elbow or ankle joint. The affected joint becomes red, hot, swollen and extremely sensitive.
Factors like obesity, hypertension, diabetes, kidney disorders, increased lipid levels, genetic predisposition and consumption of purine rich diet as well as alcoholic beverages and sweetened drinks result in gout. Niacin, diuretics and some immunosuppressive drugs are also linked to causing gout.
You can use the following Home Remedies to Treat Gout Naturally without any side effects:
- Activated charcoal: It works by adsorbing the excessive uric acid from the body. Gout of ankle joint or big toe can be taken care of by soaking the foot in a tub having charcoal paste. For other body parts you can apply the paste directly. Oral charcoal capsules can also be taken to ease pain and inflammation.
- Baking soda: As it is alkaline in nature it neutralizes the extra uric acid and eases gout. You can add half a teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water and drink it 3 to 4 times a day. However as it is high in sodium hypertensive people should avoid it.
- Lemon juice: Juice of half a lemon added to a glass of water can be taken thrice a day to alkalinize the body and reduce discomforts of gout.
- Ginger root: You can apply a paste of ginger root on the affected area and get relief from pain and inflammation. Alternatively you can drink a solution made by adding half a teaspoon of ginger root in a cup of boiling water.
- Apple cider vinegar: Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of honey in a glass of water and drink it once early morning and then later at night. The combined effect of acidic apple cider vinegar and anti-inflammatory honey relieves gout.
- Fruits: Malic acid present in apples is said to neutralize the uric acid to relieve gout pain. Eating 15 to 20 fresh cherries early in the morning is good for gout patients because of its anti-inflammatory anthocyanins. 1 or 2 bananas a day are also good for gout management as they are rich in potassium that dissolves the uric acid crystals which then passes out through urine.
- Epsom salt: Soaking the affected joint in warm water to which Epsom salt has been added relieves severe gout.
- Vegetable juice like French beans juice or juice of raw carrot along with beet and cucumber is also good.
- Hydrotherapy: To control swelling and burning sensation take cold water in a bottle and place it on the affected joint.
- Juniper oil compress is also beneficial in dissolving the uric acid deposits naturally.
- 1 tablespoon of celery seed consumed daily is also effective in reducing gout.
Along with all this life style changes like controlling your weight, exercising, avoiding alcohol or fructose sweetened drinks and consuming a diet rich in complex carbohydrates, low in meats and high in fruits and vegetables is necessary.